* Sage (Salvia officinalis) is aromatic and healing herb and one of the oldest medicines. It is a Southern Europe native and it is cultivated usually in gardens. Sage is 30-70 cm tall with lavender flowers most common. This herb is described by the doctors in ancient times and its healing characteristics are much believed today too.
* Only the leaves are the ones to have healing characteristics rich with carbohydrates, cellulose, tannin and proteins. Apart from these organic joints they contain a lot of iron and calcium as well, and they are rich with vitamin A, too. The most important healing ingredient of this herb is its essential oil.
10 interesting features of the sage
1. Sage is an inevitable additive in lots of medicines used for mouthwash and throat inflammation, because in that way tannin’s influence strengthens the mucous membrane and the essential oil acts antiseptically. Until antibiotics were discovered, sage had been used for centuries against affection of throat and hoarseness, as well as preparing tea against sweating because it decreases sweat glands excretion.
2. It acts like a medicine against increased temperature and fever, destroys bacteria, it’s a good antioxidant, prevents convulsions in digestive system, cleans the intestine, smoothens and prevents inflammations.
3. In traditional medicine sage is used against nerve tension and helps against cold and influenza.
4. It is used for blood purification, considerable inflammations, throat affections and inflammations of internal organs.
5. Sage appears to be a good medicine for kidney diseases, also cleans the liver, and it is mostly recommended for keeping teeth and palates healthy – it is used for paradentosis and strengthening cranky teeth.
6. English herbalists use sage for stimulating concentration and better memory, and they think it affects longevity.
7. During the day we should drink 400 ml (2 cups) sage tea in a couple of sips once in a while. When we drink sage tea it strengthens the whole organism and in that way we protect ourselves from brain damage.
* In a word, sage is an antibiotic with a wide range of effects.
Scientific researches confirm sage’s healthfulness.
* When we talk about internal usage, doctors and pharmaceutists recommend sage for mild digestion problems and excessive sweating, as for external usage it is used for inflammations of the mucous membrane and throat affections.
8. Surveys showed that the use of sage diminishes sweat during menopause.
9. Its estrogen effect can contribute for regulation of the menstrual cycle, abates painful menstruations and reduces wet nurse’s milk if they want to stop breastfeeding.
10. Regarding all the curative effects, sage is not recommended for pregnant women and epileptics and its long-term usage without doctor’s or pharmaceutical’s control can initiate highly incontinent muscle convulsions, often combined with loss of consciousness.
Today, except for healing, sage is used in alimentary, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries, as well as for cooking too.