Falafel – fried balls of chickpeas
Falafel is an Egyptian dish. Due to the fast preparation this dish became very popular in the world. It is delicious and it can be included in healthy food. Falafel balls can be served with cooked or steam vegetables.
We can serve falafel with salad, light sauce or eat as a snack, too.
– 400 g chickpeas, soaked in water over night
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 4 tablespoons integral flour
– 1/2 onion
– 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
– Oil or melted butter for frying
– Salt and pepper
– 50 ml of cream (or soy cream)
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 1 teaspoon sweet ground pepper
– 5 cloves of garlic
– Salt and sugar
Soak the chickpeas in water and leave it overnight. The next day grind it in a blender along with the onion. Then add flour, salt, sesame seeds, pepper and baking powder. If the mixture is not thick enough, add some breadcrumbs. We use the mixture to make small balls (less than an apricot) and fry them in hot oil for 2-3 minutes until we get a dark brown color.
In a saucepan we stir the cream, garlic, pepper, a teaspoon of tomato concentrate and add a little salt and sugar. Briefly cook and stir, then leave the sauce to cool and serve with falafel balls.